Tuesday 4 December 2012

THE LONG AWAITED ARTICLE OF DESIRE

Thanks to the lovely owners of Allsports of Gloucester I was able to get my new air rifle by paying in installments, bless them. My wife got it for me  as a joint Xmas and birthday present and as money is usually pretty tight it was a big sacrifice, you just got to love her, there's no two ways about it.





So here it is, my new (2nd hand) Airarms Shamal .177. I paid £300 for her and I know there's always someone who would have said, "stone me mate you could have had mine for 200". But no this was the 'one'. Like all 90's Airarms she is expertly engineered, the walnut stock is perfectly shaped, scope sight is acquired the moment you put your cheek to the monte carlo style raised butt, fitting like a glove. However I now have to save up for a foot pump.






Now down to business. Using AA Diabolo Fields I set up the back garden range at about 27 yards, and sitting on an old stool with my forearm resting on the fence support (this would be close enough for hide conditions) I squeezed off the 1st shot. 1/3 of an inch above aim point, let off a 2nd and couldn't see that one anywhere, so i tried a 3rd and I noticed the 1st hole enlarge a little to the left. Shots 4 thru to 10 could all be covered by 5p piece, I was truly blown away, I even managed to shoot a piece of string holding a can aloft. Now I realise the scope had been sighted for maybe another 10 yards and once i'd adapted, it was no problem. She will be a dream to shoot for HFT and hunting dinner will be morally satisfying with this gun. (bound to do some accuracy tests at some time in the the future)





She came with a green hesian quick detatchable sling and a Nikko Sterling Silver Crown 4x12x40 scope, the sling is professionally mounted and the scope, mounted on medium height quality mounts, is in wicked condition considering it was bought when the gun was new. Although the zoom ring was stuck at first, a little TLC had it working. I cannot seem to find a safety on the gun as yet, but that is of no major inconvenience to me. The shoulder butt can be adjusted up or down and is set 1 or 2 settings down, which is perfect for me (don't fix if it ain't broke). Compared to the PCP's on the market nowadays she is a little heavy (9lbs with scope) but she's a wonderfully engineered piece of art (to me) and thats what matters, thats why I love my Weihrauch hw 35 so much, they are so overdesigned and will last generations.





Maybe in time I might remove the cocking toggle and replace it with a cocking bolt, even replace some parts with brass. But truth be told she is best off as she is, with maybe a little non glare camo tape here and there, and wiped down with a little gun oil after each use, she is after all a tool to be used in responsible hands and I intend to use her to her full capabillities.



No comments:

Post a Comment