Saturday 18 October 2014

Tools for Air Rifle Repairs .




Bits and bobs and odds and sods for fixing up air rifles.


Once upon a time not so long ago, my kit consisted of a couple of screwdrivers, some 3 in 1, a drill and an old Relum Telly .22 air rifle.

Ask any airgun tinkerer or tuner what the most important tool for working on an air rifle is, and you will be told it's the chronoscope. I would say that's true as you need to be able to diagnose the problem in the first place, as well as ensuring your rifle stays within legal limits - fixing a rifle so well it shoots over 12 ft/lb is not the fix at all!

This Combro Mk IV will cost you about £50.

Over the years as I have picked up old air rifles to work on, I have also had to buy, find, or make the tools to work on them. This has usually meant buying fairly inexpensive things like bit sets from Homebase, giving me a range of flat blades and hex's and providing a cheap alternative to expensive gunsmith screwdrivers,


These two bit sets tend to cover all needs

These dial calipers I got from a car boot sale, and are very useful for measuring main spring dimensions and the measurements of the finer tolerences found on some of the better quality air rifles I own.

Dial calipers are not only bloody useful but look a bit sexy as well.

I have found discount shops a good cheap supply of wire wool, white spirit, sand paper, craft knives, metal files and loads of other stuff that would otherwise have cost me a fortune.

Six mm ali tube with a slot cut in the end clamps around cheap wire wool and wet and dry,

I have also made a fair few tools as well, such as a spring compressor which is most certainly needed on most of my spring air rifles.

DIY spring compressor took an hour to knock up (and another hour to fix after 4 inches of pre load on a Titan main spring did it some mischief).

I even made up some parts to turn a drill driven wood lathe into a metal tuning lathe, though if truth be told it needs redesigning as it's currently only good enough for turning plastic bar, or aluminium at a push.

This lathe bodge is good enough for knocking up Delrin top hats and spring guides if needed.

The 'Fonely lathe ('fonely means 'if only', as in 'if only i had a lathe') also doubles for knife making.

Knife making jig will surfice til I get a belt sander.

And here is a large grinding wheel I picked up somewhere, however the law of momentum tends to have it's evil way if I haven't got anything pressed against it.

The momentum on this grinding wheel has been known to destroy a drill.

Full size and jewellery pliers, mallet, hammers, cheap O ring sets and a cheap Draper mini drill with accessories are just some of the tools i've collected , and of course a selection of moly and silicon greases and gun oils have all been acquired over the years.

Can't remember what this lot cost in all, but it wasn't a lot considering.

In the back garden I have a small shed where I test rifles and invent tools, but the kitchen table is by far the best place to work on air rifles. Some good music and a nice drink and you have the perfect working enviroment.

Good music to work to, and a single malt in the hand that isn't holding the camera.

TTFN, 



Best wishes, Wing Commander Sir Nigel Tetlington-Smythe.



 

1 comment: